Thursday 11 August 2011

Not a creature was stirring

I have been up for almost an hour - very early for me, especially at this time when I try to stay in bed for as long as humanly possible to catch up on all the shut eye I am missing. The weather has turned decidedly autumnal and the breeze coming in to the open bedroom window caused a sneezing fit cured only by a nice warming cup of tea. The house is quiet - and I am awake to witness it. Bliss.

I wish I could summon up the energy to do something productive. I could be using this time to sort the laundry, to spin, to wash up last nights dishes, to weed the garden, to bake bread - but I would prefer to be here writing this, for the simple fact that I love stringing letters one after another; and I don't have as much time to devote to it as I would like. This blog is not just an opportunity to reflect on my daily life (important), to connect with like minded folk (also important), but it gives me a chance to exercise my grey matter a little in a life dominated by toddler talk, house work and nappies (all good things). If there is one thing I have missed from my university days, apart from the freedom to stay up until 5am and rise sometime the next afternoon, is the opportunity to write and to think deeply about things. These days, the opportunity to do both at the same time rarely occurs.

If you are in the UK and have been affected by the riots of the last four nights, I wish you the very best. As an outsider looking in from a city that as it turned out didn't erupt into violence and flames and mayhem, I can't comprehend the impact it will have on the individuals and communities who were affected. The dust appears to now be settling - I hope that the aftermath brings out the very best in us all.




No comments:

Post a Comment