Thursday 9 September 2010

Deliciousness is...


We are off on our travels soon, so it was time to take down the tomato plants and make something of the abundance of green tomatoes left on the vines. I think that the green ones are more beautiful than any other tomatoes I have seen. I have never actually eaten green tomatoes, but as time is short, we might just do that. I had grand plans to batch cook tomato sauce, which unless they ripen up in the next 2 days isn't going to happen. Perhaps I shall take some with us to whip up a few self catered frugal meals, or to give to the friends we will visit on our travels. 

I am amazed that these fruits are so integral to so many food traditions, not least my own. I assume that it is in part because they are easy to grow and marry well with so many other flavours. As a student, most of the people I knew didn't let a meal go by without resort to a can of plum tomatoes. They are delicious, they are useful, but I can't help but feel that I rely on them a little too much for easy weekday meals. Having managed to produce delicious homegrown tomatoes for the first time in years, I want to do it all over again next summer and be able to savour them as a seasonal treat.

I have no idea what we are going to eat in their place this winter...

2 comments:

  1. There are lots and lots of recipes for preserving -and eating fresh - green tomatoes, especially in the Deep South. I have quite a few so have a search :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sceptical but we tried some fried and they were lovely! Never got around to chutney, but may do this year if we have lots left. Placing a banana amongst them ripened the stragglers up too.

    ReplyDelete