Wednesday 16 June 2010

The community orchard

This morning we went to the community orchard. I will post pictures soon because I cannot convey just how beautiful a space the orchard is. It is still a work in progress and has only been running for a couple of months, but it is glorious.

It is open to everyone and provides a lush green space in a very crowded city for green fingered people to get their hands dirty. There are numerous fruit trees, fruit bushes, vines, herbs, wild flowers and raised vegetable beds. There is an arbour, plenty of benches and patches of grass to lay down a picnic rug.

I am looking forward to spending time there. Whilst I am very grateful to have a small paved yard at home, I have stuffed that as full as is physically possible with pots. There are new and unusual plants at the orchard that I want to get to know as friends. I want my son to grow up with an appreciation of where his food comes from (unfortunately the hose and loose bricks of the unfinished paths are much more interesting to a 20 month old!). I also hope that a wonderful community grows up around the garden as more and more people realise what a wonderful resource it is and volunteer their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment